I picked up an extra shift today and while I normally don’t work Saturdays I am working tonight and this song is in my head:
Everyday I’m hustling. Because every day I do – expect Saturdays, when I sleep.
It is no secret that I have 2 jobs. 1 full time job working as a CAD monkey making floorplans for trade show company here in Edmonton and one part time side hustle with the siren at Starbucks. I work anywhere from 53-60 hours a week. This depends on the week, my level of exhaustion and my ability to work with the public (cuz let’s be real yo, lots of bitches be drinking skinny vanilla lattes!). Sometimes I find the more busy I am the more shit I accomplish. And, there is a lot of truth to the simple reality that if you are always at work its hard to spend your money. I am lucky that there are some super duper cool people at both my jobs and that the jobs work well for scheduling my life.
The secret to surviving while working this much & to staying human: I take the same one day off, every week and do not work! That is my Carol day. It is needed and earned and Jesus fuck a girl needs her sleep, and to get shit done, be social and just be.
Pros & Cons of the Starbucks Side hustle:
- if I want extra hours I can usually get them at my store or from any other Starbucks in the Edmonton area
- Usually it is easy to get rid of a shift or book off time if I am feeling like I need a normal weekend (by that I mean 2 days) or I need a break
- My income from that job varies but is anywhere from $400 – $1000/month working anywhere from 12-20 hrs a week!
- I have worked on and off for Starbucks from a long time, it’s routine, it’s easy and – hell moonlighting as a Barista gives you lots of opportunity to meet pretty interesting people
- Sometimes I get super exhausted and Friday night is literally me, tea and documentaries if I can actually stay awake long enough to get through it
- The perk of 1lb of free coffee or one box of tea every friggin’ week!
- Pretty decent employee discount when I want new go cups for my ever growing collection AND partner shopping days
- Working with young people keeps me young
- Two jobs can be soul sucking because you are working or you are sleeping
- It eats up social time, gym time, life time, dating time, finding a husband time etc
- It eats up my writing time
- People sometimes talk to you like you are a sack of shit and uneducated and stupid and it makes me want to scream in their face because lets be real – you aren’t drinking Starbucks on the daily if you are on any kind of debt repayment plan – that shit is expensive!
I think there are tonnes of things you can do for a side hustle. It is my opinion that a second income stream is likely your best bet. I was reading on Budgets are Sexy yesterday an entire post about all the different things you can do as a side hustle. I have some research to do to get to the next level.
With that friends, it is Saturday early afternoon, I am drinking my coffee while I write this, I have eaten, tindered, I washed and cleaned my kitchen is preparation for meal prepping tonight, I powered through writing this blog post, I just need to get dressed, get my myself funky and get myself to work.
That’s how we do it in my world – thank Zeus for free caffeine!